The Kentucky Derby Museum, a non-profit organization located in Louisville, Kentucky, announces the opening of its Colonel Clark Library. With collections dating back to the mid-19th century, the Colonel Clark Library is an outstanding resource for historians, especially those interested in agricultural, sporting, and local history. The centerpiece of the Colonel Clark Library is the collection of Jim Bolus, long-time sports writer, historian, and renowned expert on the Kentucky Derby. The Bolus Collection consists of thousands of research files, printed materials, and recorded interviews covering the sport of Thoroughbred racing from 1875 to 1995. The Library also houses primary documents on the history of Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby since its inaugural running in 1875, and approximately 3,000 published volumes which include noted Thoroughbred industry publications such as The Blood-Horse, Thoroughbred Times, and the Daily Racing Form.
The Colonel Clark Library is open to the public on Tuesdays during the Museum’s normal operating hours and also by appointment. Access to the Library is free of charge. For general information on the Kentucky Derby Museum click here. To search the library holdings click here. For phone and email inquiries, contact Chris Goodlett at 502-637-1111, ext. 259 or by email.